God Of The Second Chance Group
Interactive Group Activities
by Carol Williams & Charles Kirkpatrick
Sermon Title: "God of the Second Chance "
Scripture Reading: Luke 13:6-9
LESSON STARTER: "God's Forgiveness" is written in large letters on the chalkboard with some of the letters missing. (Example: G _ _'s F_ _ g_ _ e _ _ _ s.) You could also write "Second Chances" beneath that with letters missing. I always put the Bible Verse in the same way for them to fill in the letters or numbers missing during the lesson! I enjoy watching the children coming into the SS classroom each week to see if they can figure out what the lesson is about before class even begins!
SECOND CHANCE GAME: Use one the game ideas listed below to demonstrate the point of a SECOND CHANCE as in our lesson. The teacher could use one or more of the following suggestions as time permits.
1. Play a Bible Trivia game where child would be allowed a second guess if they give a wrong answer.
2. Let the children try to thread a needle and give them a second chance using a needle threader or a needle with a larger eye.
3. Let the children try to quote a Bible verse and give them a second chance with some help from another child or from the written verse.
4. The teacher asks the children to say the books of the Old Testament or the New Testament and gives them a second chance with some help.
5. Have the children trow to toss coin into a cup with a second chance if they miss.
6. Have the chidren toss a ring and try to circle a bottle or a peg. Give them a second chance if they miss.
FIG TREE CRAFT: The teacher should have some twigs available for the children to tape to a poster board or to their own sheet of construction paper. Fig cookies could be taped near the twigs as you discuss the story of the fig tree from today's lesson.
"SECOND CHANCE" FRUIT - CLASS POSTER
Option 1: Let the children trace or draw various FRUITS on a large poster board or a long sheet of butcher paper (hung on the focal wall). The teacher will then have the children write a different "fruit of the spirit" under each one of the fruits. If children are very young, the teacher could let the children trace the fruit and the letters for each fruit listed.
Option 2: The teacher will have drawn pictures of fruit on a long banner that is hanging on the wall with blanks and a few letters to give clues for the fruit listed. Ex: L_ _ _ (love); J _ _ (joy); P _ _ _ _ (peace), etc. Children love to fill in the blanks.
SING A SONG: GOD IS SO GOOD; PEACE LIKE A RIVER
SNACK TIME: A variety of fruit would be a great treat for the children today or fig cookies.
Song: "God Is So Good"
Song: "Peace Like a River"
Words and Music (pdf)
|About Carol Williams|
|Carol and her husband have served churches in Illinois, Minnesota, Mississippi, Michigan, and Indiana. Carol loves to work with children so you will find her teaching in Junior Church and children's Sunday School. She also has clowning ministry in which she is known as Bubbles tc (the clown).|
Copyright © 2001- Sermons4Kids, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Related Sermons & Resources
Fill in the Blank