The Precious Gift for Us
The Christmas Story
1. Mary wrapped her cloak more closely around her as the chilly night grew late. “Look, Joseph, is that the city of Bethlehem in the valley below” We have walked and ridden this donkey for almost 3 days now and I think the baby may be coming tonight. Joseph answered as he prayed squinting his eyes to see the lights in the distance, “Yes Mary, it is, soon we will be there and I will find you food and a place to rest.
2. The Streets were crowded and noisy as they came into the city for many people had traveled far since Caesar Augustus, the head of the Roman Empire, had ordered that all his subjects go to the cities of their ancestors to pay taxes.
3. Joseph knocked on door after door looking for an Inn with an open room any place would do. He would explain that his wife was about to have a baby but that still didn’t soften anyone’s heart. Finally one Inn keeper said, “Because you are tired and your wife is big with child you may sleep in my stable on clean hay.
4. By this time Mary and Joseph were thankful to get out of the street and be able to get off their feet even if it was a stable with sheep, cows and other animals. During the silent, star-filled night, Jesus Christ was born, there in the manger Mary wrapped Him in swaddling clothes and laid Him in the food troth filled with some hay.
5. On the hillside were some shepherds, they believed in God and perhaps raised sheep to be sacrificed for sin offerings in the temple. Through the long hours of the night they had often prayed and talked about what would happen when the Messiah would come and would they still have a job if there was no need for their sheep since the Messiah would be the sacrifice for the peoples sin.
6. As they rested all of a sudden in the night sky an angel appeared the sky lit up and he announce “Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.
7. Then the angel said: You will find the baby wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in a manger. Next the sky was filled with I mean filled with, heavenly hosts and the silent night was now filled with the sound of ANGELS voices praising God and saying Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
8. So off the shepherds went at once to Bethlehem. Just as the angel had told them they found Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus lying in the manger. They were filled with joy and appreciation to God that they got to see their Savior.
9. As the shepherds returned to their sheep they told the great news to everyone they saw. When they reached the hillside and their sheep it was almost morning they were so excited they just continued to praise God.
10. Sometime later wise men in the east saw a bright new star. This was a sign to them that a prophecy had been fulfilled. The King of the Jews had come. They traveled for a very long time perhaps years.
11.When they got to Jerusalem they hurried to King Herod to ask where the new king was. This did not make the king happy but he tried not to let on to the wise men and asked them if on their way back they would come by and tell him where the baby was so he could pay him respect.
12. The wise men once again followed the star which they had seen in the sky in the east. They found Jesus, they knelt down and worshipped Him. The wise men presented Jesus with expensive gifts they had brought with them to present to the new born king.
13. When they left they did not go back to tell the king where Jesus was because God warned them in a dream to go a different and that the king wanted to do harm to Jesus.
14. Now you and I can have eternal life because of God’s son Jesus coming as a baby and being our sacrificial lamb. For God so loved you and me He gave us Jesus! That’s why we’re here today to celebrate Jesus!